Post-Doctoral Fellow: Multiple Stressors effects in the Red Sea marine habitats
The Saudi Aramco-KAUST center for Marine Environmental Observations (SAKMEO) is seeking a Post-Doctoral position in the area of multiple stressor interaction effects in marine and coastal environments. The candidate will investigate the relative roles of natural and anthropogenic stressor effects in an extreme environment, the Red Sea, that experiences globally high salinities and sea surface temperatures. Responses to additional stressors including contaminants and turbidity will be investigated using a combination of field based and laboratory experiments. The response of marine organisms to multiple stressors will be investigated to identify whether there are tipping points where ecosystems switch to less desirable states. Ideally, the candidate will also have strong experience in the application of statistical modeling methods that can identify synergistic, multiplicative and additive responses to multiple stressors. We are seeking individuals who have strong interdisciplinary interests and are capable of working collaboratively within an international, interdisciplinary group. All applicants are required to have a Ph.D. with demonstrated expertise in their respective areas. The candidate should have excellent writing skills and a good publication record.
KAUST is a graduate research university located on the edge of the Red Sea in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia (http://www.kaust.edu.sa/).
- Ph.D. in Marine Ecology and associated expertise in multiple stressor effects in coastal environments;
- Proven publication record in the field of marine ecology;
- Proven experience working on marine and coastal environments, and how natural and anthropogenic disturbances impact benthic marine communities;
- Documented experience of extensive ecological field surveys;
- Competency in applying and interpreting statistical analyses including the application of CART or boosted regression models to identify threshold responses;
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively and foster a cooperative work environment;
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables on time and to work in a multi-tasking environment
The position is for three years (renewal each year depending on performance) and includes a competitive tax-free salary and other benefits (housing, health and life insurances, etc.).
To apply, please submit a single pdf file with a cover letter, including a brief statement of research interests (no more than 2 pages), detailed curriculum vitae, and the contact information of three references to Jennifer Otoadese, Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis beginning 15 August 2017. Early application is advisable. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest and advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.